Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Shingles

One of my personal notable events of 2011 was getting ye olde shingles. By request, here's an account:

Day 1: "Ew, what is this rash? It must be from the heat." [Ignores the fact that she never got a rash from heat while living in Texas, carefully cleans and airs out rash with blithe confidence that will do it.]

Day 2: "Wait, why is it WORSE?!? I was being so nice to it!!"[Resolves to go to doctor once the weekend is over, mostly enjoys Packers Family Night in spite of being itchy and stingy in the heat and, later, pouring rain]

The face of a person who is stoked to be at Lambeau Field, but is also secretly pretty uncomfortable. (Me, not Neal.)

Day 3: "Less worse than yesterday! Hooray?"

Day 4: Doctor: "That's shingles." Me: "SHINGLES?!? No, yeah, actually that makes a lot of sense." Doctor: "Take these horse pills."

Days 5-8: [Has exact right amount of sick time to sit on the couch, feeling sorry for self and watching Project Runway (season 8)]

And then the horse pills worked! The end.

4 comments:

Craig said...

I was actually going to ask about the Shingles - but then I thought you might think it was just a ploy to keep the chicken pox vaccine argument going...j/k :-)

PS - This is really MacKenzie (obviously) but if I sign Craig out he will lose the post he is writing so I will just comment as him)

Rachel said...

Naw, you don't mention getting The Shingles without expecting somebody to ask, "The Shingles, eh?"

Craig said...

Did you get a chicken pox vaccine? Did they have those back in your day? Did you have the chicken pox? You know who else had shingles? Tony LaRussa.

Rachel said...

They did not have the vaccine in my day, that I know of. I got the chicken pox in kindergarten after hugging my friend Amber, who I had really missed when she was gone for a week with the chicken pox. Bad strategy on my part.