Sunday, February 5, 2012

How I Met Your Mother Theory

Having just finished watching HIMYM Season 6 on DVD, I was thinking about it this morning before getting out of bed (where ideas are born and often, quickly forgotten). I arrived at a conclusion: I think The Mother is Barney's sister.

We know very little about Barney's sister, and this has to be on purpose by the writers. There are two possible reasons why they haven't introduced her character yet: 1) There's going to be an episode where Barney hits on her in a bar before figuring out she's his sister. (This is the most obvious one.) 2) She's The Mother.

Supporting facts: the only thing we've heard about her is that she's "in college." This makes her eligible to have been in the econ class Ted tried to teach, and to be the roommate of the Rachel Bilson grad-student character (both of which are mother-criteria). Also, surely she would be at Barney's wedding, which is where Ted is going to meet her.

That's all I've got, but I'm going with it. This is now my officially sponsored theory going forward (or until such time as they introduce Barney's sister and have her meet Ted without them immediately falling in love).

3 comments:

Angela said...

Great theory Rachel! I forgot all about Barney having a yet to be introduced sister. This is probably the best theory I have heard yet!

Craig said...

I think Mother will be the doctor that diagnoses Barney with stage 3 gono-syphilis.

Bdubs said...

I think it's a very distinct possibility, and a much better theory than all the people who want it her to be dead and for Robin to be the stepmom. Bleck!
I'm still hoping that Robin will end up as Barney's wife. My theory there is it'll be a last minute bride swap, where he realizes his mistake with Quinn and he will elope with Robin. That's my guess anyways!