Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Music Quiz!

(I took this from Meg.)

Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line (unless the first line reveals the song title) from the first 25 songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Strike through the songs when someone guesses both artist and song title correctly.
Step 4: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING!

(I didn't entirely follow the rules--I discarded bunches and bunches of songs. [I went through about 100 to get these 25.] I have a lot of obscure and, frankly, many boring songs. Mostly though, I didn't realize until I went through this exercise how very many songs have their title in the first line. Bucketloads, people. Bucketloads.)

1. Standing on the dock at Southampton, trying to get to Holland or France
2. Get a load of me, get a load of you, walking down the street and I hardly know you
3. I could feel it from the start--couldn't stand to be apart
4. Billy Ray was a preacher's son, and when his daddy would visit he'd come along
5. I don't care if you wreck my car or shave off all my hair
6. Well, I had two weeks of vacation time coming after working all year down at Big Roy's Heating and Plumbing
7. We've been together for so very long but now things are changing and I wonder what's wrong
8. I don't want to hold you and feel so helpless
9. Tale as old as time, true as it can be
10. I am just a poor boy though my story's seldom told
11. Oh the shark, babe, has such teeth, yeah
12. I got sunshine on a cloudy day
13. Momma, hey Momma, come lookin' for me
14. Caroline (Caroline); Oh Caroline all the guys would say she's mighty fine
15. Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?
16. Oh baby baby, how was I supposed to know something wasn't right here?
17. We've been together since way back when, sometimes I never want to see you again
18. I took a walk around the world to ease my troubled mind
19. All I can ever be to you is the darkness that we know, and this regret I got accustomed to
20. I packed my bags last night pre-flight
21. Does he love me, I wanna know--how can I tell if he loves me so?
22. Dear, I fear we're facing a problem: you love me no longer, I know
23. I had a match, but she had a lighter; I had a flame but she had a fire
24. Well, let me tell you a story 'bout a man named Charlie on a tragic and fateful day
25. Life was kinda hectic and I was having trouble sleepin'


ETA: I realized once I came back to cross things off that I don't know how to do strikethrough in Blogger (help, anybody?), so that's why the "got" ones are italicized.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

4) Son of a Preacher Man (sung by many)

6) "Weird Al" Yankovic - Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

10) Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer

12) Temptations - My Girl

15) Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

16) Britney Spears - Baby One More Time

18) Three Doors Down - Kryptonite

Meg said...

Monica got all mine except

14. Outkast - Caroline

Frank said...

(9) Beauty and the Beast - Celine Dion and Peabo (!) Bryson

(11) The Threepenny Opera (You know, Mack the Knife?) - Bobby Darin

(20) Rocket Man - Elton John

(21) It's in His Kiss (The Shoop-Shoop Song) - Cher and others

(24) MTA - The Kingston Trio

Rachel said...

All right, I'm counting Queen, Britney Spears, Celine Dion and Peabo (!) Bryson, and Cher, even though my versions were Weird A (Bohemian Polka), Travis (who has a version that's totally awesome), Angela Lansbury, and Betty Everett.

I'm going to be a stickler on Son of a Preacher Man, and also on the title of #14.

Hannah said...

13) 1776 - Momma, Look Sharp

Anonymous said...

Yes, the Travis version is definitely way better. :D

A B Campbell said...

1) Ballad of John and Yoko - J Lennon

7) You Don't Love Me Anymore - Alfred Yankovic

17) You're Still The One - ??

Anonymous said...

22) is Lovefool by the Cardigans

Nancy said...

Mmm, love the Travis version of "Hit Me". 2) is Why Can't I by...someone. Liz Phair. Okay, so I sort of cheated because I had to look up the artist.