Saturday, September 19, 2009

J'ACCUSE!

Apple is obviously doing wonders for lots of quirky, indie-types bands, since their ubiquitous commercials always feature catchy, quirky, indie-type songs. But whatever they paid to their newest protege, I hope that some of that money is going to Gary Lewis and perhaps his Playboys.

I submit as evidence these YouTube videos, although my argument is encapsulated in the first eleven seconds of each one.

Miss Li's "Bourgeois Shangri-La" (2009):


Gary Lewis and the Playboys' "Count Me In" (1965):


It's a lot more obvious than "My Sweet Lord" and "He's So Fine," so if George Harrison had to cough it up to The Chiffons, how is the iPod song OK?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whew, I thought I was alone!!! My exact thoughts the minute I saw (heard) the song on the commercial. Something tells me GL and the Playboys aren't getting any $$$ for this one.

Frank said...

Lord, it's like that music they use on Family Guy when they want it to SOUND like MC Hammer or James Bond, but can't pay the royalties. So they just tweak it a little, and next thing you know, you've got Peter singing, "Can't Touch Me".