Friday, September 25, 2009

Micro-Genres

I've decided to steal an idea from the A. V. Club again. This week, its writers answered this question:

Do you guys have any incredibly specific micro-genres that you feel you might be the only fan in the world of?


Their answers include things like "movies about hitmen," "graphic non-fiction" (which I did not realize was a thing), and "old country and folk songs about mules."

I don't really care about superhero movies per se. But for whatever reason, I really like movies/TV shows (or the parts of movies or TV show episodes) focused on a superhero grappling with his or her secret identity. I mean, I liked My Super Ex-Girlfriend. And apparently, that's saying something. I still love Lois and Clark, because it's 75% Clark and 25% Superman. My favorite parts of Iron Man were the ones where Tony Stark interacted with his secretary, not the ones where he was building stuff and shooting things. And my favorite episodes of Darkwing Duck revolve around Drake Mallard dealing with being a parent. (What? Darkwing Duck is really good.) I'm sure there are other examples that I'm not thinking of right now, because I am a total sucker for watching the life and struggles of the meek alter ego.

Except in the Spiderman movies. I don't like those. At all, really.

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

Hmm, that's weird you don't like Spider-man. Why not?

Rachel said...

I dislike Peter Parker for being mopey and boring. I also think the villains are dumb. (And I haven't even seen Spider-Man 3, which I hear is the worst.)

Chestertonian Rambler said...

Gargoyles seems to have a lot of out-of-adventure goings-on, as well.

My favored micro-genre: singer songwriters with inherently ugly voices (Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, I'd even count Rich Mullins. Also, have you ever noticed how Rich Mullins, youngish Bob Dylan, and Weird Al all have a similar squeak to their voice.)