Sunday, February 7, 2010

Post Super Bowl Thoughts

1. The main reason I'm posting this is to bump my very wrong prediction off the top the page. Oops on that one.

2. I know it's a cliche, but I think the Saints wanted it more. I also think the Colts were complacent, assuming they would win.

3. My vote is that the worst decision the Colts made was not trying to do anything at the end of the first half. They got it back with almost two minutes to go on their own one yard line, then ran it up the middle three times. Sure, the first time you should probably run, just to get out of your own end zone, but you have Peyton Manning, who's a two-minute-drill-type guy. They had to punt it away and New Orleans got it back in time to make a field goal. If they had just tried, the Colts really could have gotten a touchdown before halftime, and it would have been 17-3 instead of 10-6. Even 13-3 would have been a huge improvement.

4. My other vote is that the best decision the Saints made was the surprise onside kick to begin the second half. I thought it was interesting when the Saints won the coin toss at the beginning of the game and decided to receive the ball right away rather than to defer. After the onside kick, I became pretty sure that Sean Payton knew he was going to start the second half that way all along. The Saints were aggressive; the Colts were passive. And there you go.

5. After the first quarter, even when the Colts were leading, I never felt like they were winning. They just didn't have the momentum.

6. Drew Brees's baby is adorable.

edited to add:

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

So, I didn't really watch it. Craig was gone and so I had no one to force me. I did leave it on the tv and unmute it for the commercials the first half but they were lame so I switched to PBS to watch Emma. I feel ashamed :-(

But I did switch back to see who won which brings me to my one and only comment on the game - I'm so glad someone put ear protection on that baby.

Anonymous said...

I never watch the Super Bowl Half-time Spectacular, I have developed an aversion to Spectaculars of all sorts. I did see film of two geriatric memebers of a Who tribute band on stage. Why does the whole thing last so long? Couldn't they just have the Aggie Band march and then kick the ball to start the second half?