Monday, February 15, 2010

The Six Boxes of Tea I Ordered from Twinings Today

1. Lemon Twist (As the Tea of the Month, it's on sale.)

2. China Oolong (Oolong! OOlOng! Oooooooooooooo! Long!)

3. Prince of Wales ("[A] pure China black tea sourced from regions including the Yunnan province and other southern regions of China. This blend is light in color and has a smooth and mild taste, with a well-rounded character." Sounds delicious!)

4. African Rooibos (Pronouned "roy-boss." I make sure to roll the R, though, making it the second-most-fun to pronounce of the teas [Hint: Oolong].)

5. English Afternoon (I know I don't have to, but I'll probably make a point of drinking it between noon and 4 PM anyway.)

6. Ceylon Orange Pekoe (After English Afternoon, I still wasn't up to the minimum order amount. Despite my reservations about getting two fruit-themed teas, it beat out Lapsang Souchong--"an adventurous tea with a unique smoke flavor and a dark rich color"--because I'm not confident I'm adventurous enough for the Lapsang Souchong yet. Maybe if I really like the "flavor of smokiness" in the English Afternoon tea.)

Total price (including over $8 for UPS ground shipping): $25.41. I think even with shipping, that's less than I would have paid at the grocery store for my next six boxes of tea. (And the grocery store won't provide me with oolong, let alone rooibos.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love rooibos tea! I've never had the Twinings version before--you'll have to post a full review once they all arrive.

Hannah said...

Let me know when you're buying loose leaf... that's when you get to be a real tea freak! (We buy ours at Whole Foods, and pay WAY LESS for our tea by buying by the ounce than we ever paid by the box. It also tastes great, and you get to smell it before you buy!)

MacKenzie said...

Oh yeah, you gotta go loose leaf. I think the quality is better but even if it wasn't, you just feel really awesome when you drink it that way.

Also, I've seen two different reviews this week (one on a blog and another in Midwest Living) for this cool tea room in the city we live by. It's supposed to be authentically English but not stuffy or doily filled. You should come visit and we can go there.

Rachel said...

Well--look. I know loose leaf tea is out there, and I know it's probably awesome (actually, I've gotten some at the coffee shop by my house, that they serve to me with a personal tea pot, so I know it's awesome), but I'm still easing my way in, here. Loose leaf tea is an intriguing but as yet still distant frontier.

MacKenzie said...

I understand that. It totally intimidated me until my mom bought me a tiny tea-pot with a built in strainer and some loose leaf tea then showed me how to do it. She stopped just short of opening my mouth and pouring it down herself :-)