Monday, March 1, 2010

My Staff Picks

I mentioned how I got to contribute a list of staff recommendations, which will eventually contribute to a display at my work. (I based my list mostly on what I like but also on what my library system actually has available. That especially came into play in the DVD section.) Here's what I submitted:

Fiction
A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

The Wagered Widow by Patricia Veryan*

The Wild Hunt by Elizabeth Chadwick**

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte***

Matilda by Roald Dahl

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett****

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

Dune by Frank Herbert

Nonfiction
Dearest Friend by Lynne Whithey

The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir

King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

Prisoner of Trebekistan by Bob Harris

The Children of Henry VIII by Alison Weir*****

DVD
1776

Deadwood (1st season)

Friends (4th season)

Project Runway (4th season)

Pushing Daisies (1st season)******

. . . possibly something else, but this was the only section I didn't type up before I handed it in, so I'm relying on hazy memory. Also, there was a CD section, but since I keep up with music in no way, I just left it blank.



*The Wagered Widow is by no means my favorite Patricia Veryan book (The Mandarin of Mayfair, The Mistress of Willowvale, Sanguinet's Crown, The Dedicated Villain, Married Past Redemption, Feather Castles, and The Tyrant--roughly in that order--beat it out) but it's very good, available in multiple copies from my library system, and a standalone (most of her books are in series and no series-beginners were plentiful in the system).

**The Wild Hunt wasn't my favorite Elizabeth Chadwick either, but my first place (The Love Knot) isn't owned by any Madison city libraries.

***I didn't like The Tenant of Wildfell Hall as much as I liked Jane Eyre, but I feel like it needs the attention more.

****I could have picked almost any Terry Pratchett book, but Soul Music seems like a good crowd-pleaser.

*****I only intended to put one Alison Weir book on the list, but I still had so much room over in the nonfiction column.

******Wow, I really don't watch many movies.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Did I know you loved gone with the wind? I love gone with the wind.