Thursday, April 17, 2008

Phone Pictures

I got a new phone a while back, and although I hate it, I've never had a phone with a camera before, so that's kind of nice. I always thought that if I had a camera phone, I would take pictures of quirky things and write about them in my blog, and now . . . that dream is coming true!

This is one of my earliest attempts. I had to go on a Bureaucratic Red Tape Quest one frigid, frigid morning, when I saw an interesting clock on the side of a bureacratic building:


Like I said, an early attempt. I'm not sure if there are any camera phones with zoom, but wouldn't that be cool? I've zoomed in on this here computer in an effort (a dubiously successful effort?) to make it easier to tell what's going on:

It's a Bucky clock! His arms tell you the time! . . . Look, I promise it's cool in person.

This next picture is about showing you that Wisconsin is how you think it is. People here are very positive on cheese, very positive on bratwurst, very positive on beer, and very very positive on all things Green Bay Packers.

This is the sign for a bar by my house from a couple of days after Favre announced his retirement. Usually, they have some weird pirate-related slogan. I think the other said something like "WE LUV YOU FAVRE."

Finally, I give you a puzzle.

This was something the gentleman caller and I saw in the dairy case at our local grocery emporium. We looked at it in confusion. Then I picked it up to read the label: "Butter Lamb." But that just didn't erase any of my questions. Question the first: What? Butter Lamb? Question two: But why a butter lamb? Question #3: Are butter lambs something that happen that I just don't know about? I mean, are all of you out there reading this and thinking, "Geez, you've never heard of a butter lamb before? What, have you never been to a [social event traditionally involving butter lambs] in your whole life? You need to get out more"? I just don't know.

In all seriousness, if anyone has any answers about the butter lamb, I would really appreciate it.

4 comments:

Craig said...

Is it butter made from sheep milk?

Chestertonian Rambler said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter_lamb

Wikipedia: Master of all things informational, including "Butter Lambs."

Apparently it's a Polish-Catholic thing.

MacKenzie said...

Back in my college days, I went on a scavenger food drive and for our "quirky item" we got a butter turkey - it was near thanksgiving. We didn't win that prize though, someone with some sort of canned shellfish did and I am still bitter. Obviously butter turkeys and butter lambs are way more quirky than canned seafood, but whatever.

Hater Hater said...

I grew up with butter lambs, butter turkeys, butter christmas trees... they are awesome. Nothing special about the butter except the shape. Clearly a Northern Wisconsin thing (perhaps Scandinavian). We also had a stamp for butter (heat up stamp + press it into the butter = pretty butter) for other special occasions. FYI. Also we had butter lambs just this year for Easter dinner, rule is you take the head first. :)