Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Truly, We Live in a Marvelous Age

Tonight, I have had two occasions on which to marvel that we live in a time when almost all knowledge one could hope to have is instantly accessible (more or less as far as the instantly, depending on whether the wireless connection is acting up).

1. My roommate mentioned, for some reason, eidetic memory, which led to a conversation about photographic memories, which led to the surfacing in my mind of these vague, shadowy memories of some book (or books?) I had read when I was a kid. All I knew was that the main character had a photographic memory, and her name was Cam (do you get it?!?), and she solved mysteries or something, and she would say "click" when she was committing something to her photographic memory. So I typed "book Cam photographic memory" and voila! The Cam Jansen Mysteries!


Before the internet, I would never have been able to figure out if I was just making that up. (Because, seriously? She actually says "click"?)

2. For the first time ever, I was able to hear a song that my dad used to sing when I was kid and that I was pretty sure he had totally made up. In my defense--first of all, my dad likes to make stuff up (you know it's true, Dad) and second of all,



What kind of gullible kid would believe that was a real song?

But anyway, now I know for sure that--against all odds!--it really was.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Wireless, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://wireless-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Rachel said...

Thanks, weird blogspam.

MacKenzie said...

Hey, I feel cheated on. A blogspammer just recently told me my post was likeable - I'm beginning to think it may have just been a line. :-(

Also, I totally read those Cam Jansen books. I'm pretty sure there was one about a cat who was lost.

Anonymous said...

I guess you don't remember starting to cry when the lyric changed from "walk the dinosaur" to "kill the dinosaur".

Rachel said...

I do not remember crying about it, although I *was* vaguely disturbed by that same line when I watched that last night.

Also, I think I remember there being a cat, too, now that you mention it.

Hannah said...

I also read the Cam Jansen books. I thought they were better than Encyclopedia Brown!

AVH said...

I think I remember creating a dance routine to that song with either my brother or at a slumber party. The 80's were a fun time to be a kid!