Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Covers

I used to be dead set against all covers of all songs. In high school, I got into a debate ("argument" would be too strong a word) about it with the art teacher, whose position was that it some ways, there are no truly new ideas.

(Before you ask--and I know you're thinking it--Weird Al doesn't do covers. Unless you count his polka medleys, but those are so ridiculous as to also fall under the umbrella of parody.)

I still think most covers out there are pretty derivative, but there are some that are truly excellent. For instance, did you know that Aretha Franklin's "Respect" is a cover? Otis Redding did it first, and let me tell you, it is not in the same universe of good (also, it just doesn't have the same kick to it coming from a dude).

But there are a couple of covers I have in mind that are not only pretty fantastic on their own merits, but give me new appreciation for the originals--one version makes me love two songs, basically.

The first is Stevie Wonder's "We Can Work it Out," which is probably not everyone's cup of tea. But I love because it's just so . . . exuberant!


Before I started listening to Stevie's version, I liked the Beatles' version fine, but it didn't really stand out from the pack of Beatles songs. But now, the differences between it and the cover bring out the elements of it that are really interesting that I never really noticed before.

More embarassingly, I also really like the David Cook version of "Billie Jean." You know. . . . American Idol #7.



(Try to ignore the audience, who can't figure out that they should be neither clapping nor doing the arms-waving thing.) Sure, it's angsty, but it's a pretty angsty song when you think about it. And I suppose that's what my point is: when you're presented with a really different version of a song you know well, it makes you think about it anew.


(I guess this post was pretty dry. I don't feel very funny today, I just felt like telling you about some songs. Sorry.)

8 comments:

Craig said...

I like the Guns n' Roses version of "Knocking on Heaven's Door" better than the Bob Dylan version. I also like the Hendrix version of "All Along the Watchtower" better than the Dylan version. Basically, I don't like Bob Dylan.

Rachel said...

You know, if you tell some people that you don't like Bob Dylan, they get all offended and they tell you you don't know anything about music. Not me though. Bob Dylan is terrible!

Chestertonian Rambler said...

How can you talk about great covers, though, and not mention Johnny Cash's "Hurt"?

And while I happen to think Dylan is incredibly awesome, I also prefer Hendrick's "All Along the Watchtower."

Rachel said...

Ooh, good call on "Hurt."

A B Campbell said...

Some people say I resemble Bob Dylan. I can sound like him, too. Here is my imitation, "It ain't me, babe", uncanny, eh?

Anonymous said...

@ Scott: I feel like I should mention the Johnny Cash version of "Personal Jesus", which every time I hear it makes me think, whaaat? Johnny Cash covering a Depeche Mode song? And then my mind is blown.

But really, what this post made me think of was that dark, delicious cover of "Hit Me Baby One More Time" that made me think, holy crap, this song is GOOD. Now I'm going to see if I can dig that up and listen to it. You've inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Update: the Stevie Wonder cover, it is GOOD. Good call.

Anonymous said...

I just realized I just said GOOD about a million times. Oops.