Thursday, August 13, 2009

My Vast Project

Well guys, I bought a domain name to start a fancy blog.

Now you may remember that I have once before tried and failed to start a different blog and don't worry, I remember that too. But that was right before what turned out to be a very trying, blog-writing-unfriendly time for me (I mean, heck, I equaled my whole total of 2008 blog posts by May of this year).

Things are different now. For one thing, I have finished writing my masters thesis. (I will probably need to make some revisions after the professors on my committee finish reading it, but revising is not writing.) And that one thing is a HUGE thing. Secondly, this new blog will be better than that other blog. This one is more specific and cooler.

It's MonarchMoments.net.

I hope you guys like this idea. I'm not entirely sure it's a good one, but once it occurred to me I just couldn't get rid of it, so I think I need to give it a shot. If I sound unwontedly nervous and fretful for just a dumb ol' blog, well . . . I'm afraid everyone will laugh at me the way everyone did at Homer when he told them his dream was to own the Dallas Cowboys. (Except for Mr. Scorpio.)

You see, some people have these cool, famous blogs. Like The Pioneer Woman, or that lady from Cake Wrecks. And I know that barely anybody is that successful at running a blog and getting people to read it (and that I'm not as funny as either of those women), but I feel like if there's anything I do here that would have a shot as getting a little fraction of that success, it's the monarch moments.

So anyway, if you think this is a bad idea, don't tell me. (For one thing, I already paid ten American dollars for my fancy dot net.) However, if you have suggestions for things I could do or ways I could spread the word about the blog, I would love to hear them.

My plan right now is to update three times a week. At first, Fridays will be where I put repeats of the moments I've written for this blog. Mondays will feature new moments--I'm going to start with an as-yet-undetermined number of pre-Conquest kings, but probably pick up in the chronology where I left off here after not too long. (That is, the .net Edward III moment will run long before Edward II shows up there on a Friday.) Wednesday will be a catch-all day, with monarchs from different countries or entries that don't fit the "moment" template. Neal had a really good idea that I could do pop culture monarch moments where I review a movie (or something) about a king or queen and then compare it to the history. (I might put some of those on Mondays, though, because then it would be "Movie Monday" and alliteration is fun.)

Now I'm pretty tired and worried that I'm sliding into incoherency, so I'll stop typing.

5 comments:

MacKenzie said...

Sweet. I'm always a fan of more Rachel in my life.

MacKenzie said...

Oh, and if you want some help with blog "decorations", just let me know:-) You should make a button, we would totally put it on our blog.

Craig said...

This sounds like it has potential. I also own a domain; my last name dot org. I put genealogy stuff there. I like to be able to store it online and allow people to find it, although I don't really know if they ever do. Did you go to GoDaddy.com?

AVH said...

Sounds interesting and entertaining, I've added the new blog to my list!

Rachel said...

Thanks for nice words, dudes!

And Craig, yes and no. I got the domain name through Blogger, and they apparently used GoDaddy.com. Give the choice, I would have used something different (I hate their commercials).