Tuesday, August 4, 2009

O hai guyz!


Well, I was gonna do a Monday Monarch Moment yesterday, since it was Monday and all. But I went into work an hour and a half before we opened, which meant I cleared out the bookdrop closet (I'm a terrible estimator, but I'm going to say there we 500 books, DVDs, etc. that I gathered up off the floor and stacked in bins and carts to check them in. Mondays are crazy). And then I had an eight-hour shift, which I know is not a terrible hardship, but it's a lot easier to go home at 1:00 than at 4:00 when you are so tired you could just puke. I hope my co-workers didn't get annoyed by my continual heavy sighing from 3:00 to 4:00.

So then I was going to an almost-Monday Monarch Moment today. But then I went grocery shopping. I was still tired and it took me a long time to convince myself to go. Here's the thing: there's this grocery store and its name is Woodman's. I have been known to call it magical Woodman's, because it is one impressive grocery store. It's huge, it has everything, and it's so cheap. However, because it's so awesome, everyone knows it's awesome. Woodman's at 2:00 on a Tuesday is like WalMart at 5:00 on a Saturday. I've never been to Woodman's at 5:00 on a Saturday because I am too terrified to try. So I was just dreading going today. And then it occurred to me: I didn't have to go to Woodman's! I could go to the more expensive, less conveniently located grocery store! I did, and at 2:00 on a Tuesday at Copp's, there were like four other people there. It was like grocery shopping in Heaven.

Also, I finally got us some reusable grocery bags! I wouldn't have cared particularly, except that one other flaw of Woodman's is that the paper bags don't have handles. That's just stupid. I can carry exactly one (1) handle-less paper grocery bag at a time. Well, without being in constant fear of dropping everything. I saw a big stand of reusable bags, but they didn't look good. There were little canvas one and medium-size plastic ones. I was unimpressed. But then I walked down a freezer aisle, and they had some bags displayed along the top--the medium ones and then some big ol' green canvas ones. ("Ooh!" I thought.) I walked back across the store, for back by the peanut butter, there had been a friendly grocery man. I asked him a leading question: whether the big green display bags were on sale somewhere else. As I had hoped, the friendly grocery man not only OK'd my buying the display bags, but reached up there to get three down for me. And then he even showed me how they fold up into cute little 6" by 6" squares! Thank you, friendly grocery man!

Then, once I got home, instead of Monarch Momenting, I made bierocks! (Bierocks = a delicious food of Volga German origin. It goes like this: make some bread dough--my granny's butterhorn roll recipe for preference; brown some hamburger; cook some cabbage [I usually boil it, but I tried cooking it in a frying pan with olive oil today and it worked very well]; mix the hamburger and cabbage and season with salt and pepper; wrap dough around a pile of cabbage beef; bake; cover with butter!) Bierocks are just as delicious as they are time-consuming to make, which is to say very.

And now I'm watching Project Runway (oh, Season 4, you're so wonderful)!

So perhaps there will be a Monarch Moment tomorrow but clearly, I shouldn't promise anything.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Giant canvas reusable bags are THE BEST. I can fit ~4 plastic bags of stuff into one of my canvas ones, and then toss it over my shoulder. Perfect.

Anonymous said...

Do they sell cheese at the Woodman's in Madison, Wisconsin?

Craig said...

Is your library closed weekends, thus leading to a massive Monday morning return pile?

Rachel said...

It's closed Sundays (and closes at 5 instead of 9 on Saturday), so no and yes.

They do sell cheese at Woodman's, but I can't remember if there's any Bucky Badger brand.