Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Champeenship*

As you may know, the BCS "National" "Title" Game is tonight. (I'm getting to the point where I feel like I should spit after saying "BCS." Like on Cake Wrecks, when she writes about "Cupcake Cakes (patooie!)" or when Craig Ferguson pretends to spit on the ground when he mentions a non-CBS network. Like that.)

I am both rooting for Alabama and fairly certain they will win.

As usual, I know many Aggies who will be rooting for texas. I have had it explained to me that many Texans tend to root for t.u. when they are playing somebody from out-of-state, or Texas Tech, or whatever, they root for t.u. whenever they aren't playing the Aggies. Here's what's weird about that: if you do that, you don't think of t.u. as your rival; they're your second-favorite team. But oh well, if that's Texas Logic, so be it. I am, however, under no obligation to feel that way.

A more compelling argument is Conference Pride! Shouldn't Aggies be stoked for a fellow Big Twelve school to win a national championship? That holds some water, especially when a Big Twelve team is playing an SEC team, because SEC people are all about conference pride. Should I root for texas against Alabama so they can prove the Big Twelve is just as good as the SEC? I guess so, maybe. But the Big Twelve isn't as good as the SEC, especially not this year.

I think the conference thing is more than outweighed by the recruiting angle--it hurts A&M even more in competition with recruits every time that other school in Austin wins a national championship. We really don't need that.

No matter who roots for them or doesn't, I don't see t.u. winning this game. Yes, Alabama had some near disasters against Tennessee and Auburn (although, in 'Bama's defense, Auburn played out of their minds in that game), but texas had trouble figuring out how to play a decent first half until midway through the season and looked real ugly against the best defenses they played, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Sure, Alabama looks ugly a lot of the time, but that's because they're good at ugly. Ugly is their wheelhouse. I think they're going to destroy Colt McCoy this evening, and I think they've got it in the bag.

*"Champeenship" as in "A wagon fulla pancakes? In the champeenship?"

6 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I've never understood that logic nor can be heart do it. I just can't root for Texas...but to be fair, my rooting for Alabama is more theoretical than practical, I probably won't even watch the game.

Rachel said...

I kinda know what you mean--some of my facebook friends have "Roll Tide!" statuses, and I'm like, "eh, I wouldn't go that far." Also, I work until nine, so I guess I'll get to see the second half or so.

Craig said...

What if I hate the SEC and their Confederate-loving, frat boys in sport coats, slutty recruiting hostesses, academically apathetic ways?

Rachel said...

I accept that as a reason to root for t.u., yes. (You sound very vehement.)

AVH said...

I cheer for Texas, because in my mixed up college football loyalty, I actually don't hate Texas. And I like Colt McCoy. It's wrong, I know, but unfortunately it's true. Although I never want A&M or Tech to lose to Texas for the hope of sending a Big 12 team to the BCS championship. That would be unforgivable! I should be able to get a Leach post together shortly.

Nancy said...

I know I'm getting on this bandwagon pretty late, but I'm totally with you on thinking it's weird that A&M fans root for Texas when A&M isn't involved. The justification I've heard is that hey, at least a texas team should win. I don't get it. I mean, rooting for t.u. just feels wrong.