Monday, May 7, 2007

Here They Are . . .

. . . The long awaited quiz answers. And, since it turns out that the quiz was really hard, I've decided to inflate the scores (good practice, if I ever get a job at an Ivy League school!) by increasing the points and giving partial credit. So here we go:

1. My new age: 24
2 points for knowing that I am now 2 dozen years old.

2. My many many t-shirts are: maroon
I have: 18
2 points for maroon; 2 points for my dad and Angela for 15, one point for Ross for saying 20 even though he didn't get the color right

3. My final score on Jeopardy!: -2000
2 points for -2000, 1 point for anything else less than zero
(That was kind of a trick question, since you couldn't let the fact that I BET IT ALL and lost it all on the Daily Double cloud your memory of me going ahead and missing the last question, too.)

4. Number of seasons of Friends and South Park: 7
2 points for 7; 1 point for 6 or 8

5. So, I tried to write a confusing question as clearly as I could, but I obviously failed, since only one person got the answer (bonuse excluded) completely right. Ergo, I'm giving points for the constituent parts.
Number after the name of my favorite King of England: 7, as in Henry VII.
One point for 7, and .5 for MacKenzie who knew it was 7, and then added a one because the wording was odd. (But not a whole point because she did--and was the only person to!--get the Acie part right, which was worded the same way.)
Order number of my favorite president: 2, as in John Adams.
One point for 2; .5 for 33, as in Harry Truman (close second!)
Number after the name of my favorite basketball player: 4, as in Acie Law IV.
One point for 4; .5 for 1, his jersey number, which is where almost everyone's minds went.
The total: 10
Two points for 10--go Angela!
My favorite Napoleon: 3, as in Napoleon III, one of the most amusing world leaders of the 19th Century.

For favorites, every correct answer is worth 2 points. No partial credit, because there are some things about which I must put my foot down. (And I can't really think of good second-place opinions for any of these. My favorites are just too good!)
6. Favorite Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (Episode V)
7. Favorite Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, a.k.a. the fourth one
8. Favorite member of Monty Python: Michael Palin (he's the cute one!)
9. Favorite sport with rackets: Badminton! (you know what? extra .5 for spelling. It's a tricky word.)
10. Favorite reality show: Project Runway

And now, the standings (um, but it may be totally wrong; you should probably check my math--if you're annoyed that this quiz was too hard to answer, you should take comfort in how hard it was to grade):
10th place: Token (5 points)
9th place: Molly (9)
8th place: Ross (9.5)
7th place: Lesley (10, but I'm going to ahead and award her another .5 for her reality show answer: "Who Wants to Sleep with William Daniels." Not that I'd actually go on that show. At eighty years old, he'd be kind of a creepy prize.)
6th place: Lindsay (11)
Tied for 5th place: Craig and Eric (11.5)
4th place: Nancy (13.5)
3rd place: Angela (14.5)
2nd place: MacKenzie (15)
and . . .
1st place: my dad, who got 16 but probably deserves 18.5 (I can't be completely certain because he didn't show his work on #5).

Thanks to all who participated in the 1st Annual Rachel's Birthday Challenge!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

annual? if this is true, maybe I can hope to improve my standing next year.

Academic Monkey said...

ANNUAL???? You mean you're going to make us feel like bad friends on an annual basis????

Rachel said...

I've probably learned my lesson and won't make it so hard next time.

Anonymous said...

wow last place.......... hey I tried

Rachel said...

You did try! And I was totally psyched that you did. I have not had enough Token in my life lately.