Tuesday, May 15, 2007

This is What Writing Papers Does to My Mind

Do you ever worry, when you add a word to your Microsoft Word dictionary, that it will backfire? For instance, I'm writing a paper that draws on the work of one Nicholas Henshall, and in order not to get a squiggly red line under his name over and over and over and over, I added "Henshall" to my dictionary. This means Word will never again zero in on "Henshall" and suggest alternatives, namely "Hen shall" or "Hens hall." So what if, in the future, I'm writing a paper about the societal features of some elaborate chicken coop and need to say "the hen shall not allow her plans to be thwarted," but I mess it up and put "henshall" because Word can no longer save me from that particular error?

It makes one's blood run cold, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed. Bill Gates giveth; Bill Gates taketh away.

Hater Hater said...

Indeed, I have done the same thing with a certain James Daybell and the future does not bode will for a sentence such as: "The New Year's Day bell rings, and I don't care." Options such as Day Bell, Waybill, and Dobell will no longer be available...sigh.