Saturday, September 8, 2007

Something Very Sad

For the first time, I'm . . . not perfectly happy with Stevie McGee.

(Note, though, that I'm not unhappy enough to quit calling him Stevie.)

Going from 19-0 at halftime against a mid-cupcake team to three overtimes? That's not all his fault. Heavens no. But my boy has got to learn how to pass.

Don't get me wrong: I love running quarterbacks, and I love Stevie's moxie. He's not afraid to keep the ball, get the first down, get knocked right over. But him rushing as much as his best running back? That's not sustainable, Stevie. You're going to get hurt. And once you're playing better teams, it's not going to work as well.

I didn't get to see the game (I assumed it wouldn't be on Wisconsin's Fox Sports, although it turns out I was wrong. Disappointed!), so maybe it's just that he can't find anybody to pass to? I don't know.

And I know he was probably completely wrung out after that hot humid monster of a game, but:

"You know what? I [am] so tired about hearing run game, pass game and all this bull crap," said McGee, who rushed for 124 yards. "All that other crap, that bull crap . . . whenever we lined up, we did whatever it took to win the game and we did that."

Actually, no you didn't. Sure, Jorvorskie got to the endzone when it counted most, but flushing a 19-point lead down the toilet? That does not jive with "whenever we lined up, we did whatever it took to win the game". You, Stevie, know as well as I do that what you did to win this game is not going to be good enough for almost all of the rest of them. I hope you and your boys turn this around, pumpkin, but I'm bracing myself for that not happening.

Gig 'em, Stevie. Please.


Edited to Add: Another note on today's game--after reading a bunch of this, I had to send my homeboy Bill Byrne (A&M's Athletic Director) this message:

Dear Mr. Byrne,
I am a diehard Aggie who lives very far away, and I therefore get really pumped when I can see my Ags on TV. That being said, I wish you wouldn't move any more early-season games to the afternoon for TV's sake. I've been hearing from people who were at the game that it was one of the most miserable experiences they've ever had. I know from experience that it's hard work, standing and screaming in the full sun for hours, and I feel really bad for the people who did it today. The student-athletes of course had a terrible time as well, even with trained professionals and equipment to take care of them. But nobody's taking care of the 12th Man, Mr. Byrne. But reasonable game times would be a good effort on your part.
Sincerely,
Rachel Campbell
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2005

Now, upon re-reading it, I regret beginning two sentences in a row with "but." However, I do not regret laying it on kind of thick. I remember the Tech game in 2002, which didn't sound nearly as awful as this one, and it was truly just about the hardest I've ever worked, trying to keep up with my full volume in full sun and Texas heat.

2 comments:

Craig said...

I said this at the time, and I say it now; Fresno State should have gone for two at the end of regulation. A visiting underdog is at a disadvantage, and the longer the game goes, the better chance the favorite has to prevail. I was quite surprised that they kicked the PAT there.

As for the heat, I'm afraid that money and TV are a bigger consideration for them. Until someone dies at a game, they'll continue to have afternoon games in September. I wonder what they'd say if the old people were on the sunny side of the field.

Rachel said...

I agree. I would have gone for two if I'd been Fresno State's coach. Maybe he decided that "having the momentum" beat "being a lower-ranked away team."

As for the sun, I'm sure that's why the student section is on the side it's on.