Saturday, November 3, 2007

Official Fran Vendetta: Day 43

Well, I told myself I was going to stop posting so much about Fran. (I mean, he's basically a dead man walking, right? Right???) But I had to write an email to a guy who works at the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, and since I already put the work in anyway, I decided I'd share.

Here is his stupid article. (It's so stupid.)

And here is my response:

Hi Gil,

I've never written a letter to a newspaper writer before, but your article today has moved me to say--are you kidding me?

The idea that Aggies shouldn't be rooting for our team to lose today is fair enough. No coaching, no matter how poor, is enough reason to root against the team. As all of us know, they're good kids with heart, guts, moxie . . . why, every adjective in the moxie family.

But to suggest that those of us who want Franchione fired are only basing that on the fact that he hasn't won a national championship is preposterous. To think that we are furious at his performance as A&M's coach because he hasn't beaten top ten opponents on the road is frankly insulting. We want him fired not just because he's had too many losses, but too many humiliating losses. Too many losses that are the direct result of his piss poor playcalling. Too many losses because he can't develop talent in promising players or capitalize on the players that are already, by the grace of God, well developed.

Why do you expect us to be happy with the Cotton Bowl in 2004 and the Holiday Bowl in 2006 when he lost both of those games by more than four touchdowns? Why do you expect us to be hunky-dory with three losses to Texas because of one win against them in one of the worst played games (by both sides) in college football history? Do you honestly expect that we should forgive and forget the numerous blowout losses and the too-close wins over far inferior teams because at some point, ever, we had kind of a comparable record to Texas? Do you really think that we should ignore the five lousy-to-middling seasons he's had at A&M because he somehow managed to pull off being decent in the short run at TCU and Alabama?

If, somehow, the Aggies win tonight, I'll be delighted. However, I will not take it to mean that Dennis Franchione has suddenly become a great coach. I've been watching the man's performance for five years, and he is not. He's not even a good coach; he's mediocre at best. While I don't expect the Ags to win the national title every year--or the Big XII title--or even the Big XII South title--my university and my team deserve better than that.


Gig 'em,
Rachel Campbell

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good letter.

My family was at a wedding during the game, so I sent them texts occasionally. This was the worst one:

"They are not representing us well. Fighting, etc. Sinking to OU's level. BAD COACHING."

Sigh. I hope it will be over soon.

We all need GUiDance said...

You might find these interesting... http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3095710

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2007/11/espn_am_wants_to_talk_to_tuber.html

We all need GUiDance said...

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10453939

Rachel said...

Those are pretty interesting--it's a shame, though, that "sources saying" there was already a buyout negotiated got changed at some point during the day to "conflicting reports."

I really doubt we're going to hear anything official until the day after the day after Thanksgiving. For better or worse (emphasis on worse), most members of the team are in Fran's corner, and firing him right before the Missouri or the t.u. game would be pretty demoralizing. As we can all tell, this season is pretty much down the tubes, but I think Bill Byrne should try to keep up the fiction that some good might still come of it. Getting rid of a coach mid-season is not the way to do that.

Rachel said...

Or maybe I'm totally wrong:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/big12/stories/MYSA110507.aggies-franchione.em.1e0c97371.html

But I am A-OK with that!