Sunday, November 18, 2007

Official Fran Vendetta & Related Miscellany


Well, I guess I jumped the gun. I suppose I was just overly optimistic that'd we would hear real news about the eagerly anticipated Fran firing. Can you blame me? (After all, it is a consummation devoutly to be wished.) I should have held fast to my knowledge that my homeboy Bill Byrne will, like he said he would, give his pronouncement after the season is over.

I just hope that the season is "over" on the day after the day after Thanksgiving, and not after the eBay Minimum Wins Bowl in Pityville, Mississippi. I think it probably will be sooner rather than later, but I do wonder who would coach us in the bowl we will be going to (thanks, bulk of the Big XII North, for continuing to be even worse than us!)

I am surprised that Bill Callahan has lasted this long. I really thought they were ready to pull the trigger there. Way to restrain yourself, Tom Osbourne. (Well, I guess "restraint" is a relative term here.)

It's a little funny that the first Big XII hot-seat coach to go was the one nobody cared enough about to remember to put him on the hot seat list. (Keep your spirits up, Baylor! Maybe people will notice you, someday.)

And, as a final football note, in this season of shocks and surprises, perhaps nothing has taken me aback as far as the fact that . . . I was rooting for Tech last night. Apparently, my drive to root for the underdog is very, very powerful. Also, it helps that I'm totally on the KU bandwagon, so--take that, Land Thieves!

But, to return to the main point, I'd like to start a countdown to the Great Fran Firing of 2007, but I can't decide how optimistic to be. I'd like to think it'll come on the 24th, but it might be a Lloyd Carr-style wait until the business week actually starts. How about this: we're at T-6 days if the Ags run out of time to t.u., T-8 if the Ags Beat The Hell Outta t.u.

Good? Good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Lawrence you can puchase a t-shirt that reads " Our Coach Beat Anorexia, and He'll Beat You, Too!

AVH said...

Thanks for rooting for my (other) boys last night! I had to watch updates on espn.com because I was working the 4pm-4am small animal emergency shift. It's sad when you have to miss watching a game like that on tv.

MacKenzie said...

Lately, I find myself oddly sympathetic towards Tech. I think it is because our minister is from Tech and I just can't root against my minister's team - it seems so sacrilegious. Unless of course, he and Craig are head to head in a fantasy football match, then I cheer for Craig to kick some pastor-butt.

Tina said...

I am waiting with bated breath for an updated post about Fran. Please put me out of my misery.