Friday, October 26, 2007

An Ode

When everything around me
is dull and dark and gray
When cold and ice and wind and frost
hound me through the day
When sweaters are inadequate ,
When longjohns fail to please,
I ache to return to you--
you never let me freeze.

You make my room so cozy
You make my life so bright
Blankets can’t compare to you
On a chill Wisconsin night
How could I brave the temperatures?
How could I stand the snow?
Without you to revive me--?
I never want to know.

I promise we’ll go on like this,
me cherishing you so
I’m so thankful that I found you
At Wal-Mart, ten months ago.
I knew it then, I know it now:
In truth--there’s nothing sweeter
than to bask
in the warming range
of my dear space heater.

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I do love me my space heater.

Nancy said...

I'm in the midst of a glut of commenting right now, but I just had to say that I love this poem. I also like taking really hot showers when it's cold outside. and by cold I mean like, 55 degrees, because I live in houston.