Saturday, October 20, 2007

Breaking Harry Potter News!

(By the time you read this, maybe it'll be old, broken news, but oh well.)

Angela just tipped me off that--wait for it--Dumbledore is gay.

I really did not see that one coming. It's true that you don't see Dumbledore taking any interest in the ladies, but I just figured it was because he was too dedicated and lofty and whatnot. You know, like Obi-Wan Kenobi--all work and no play (so to speak).

But just because I wasn't expecting it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense. It puts that whole Book 7 Grindelwald thing in a different perspective, but not a totally jarring one. And while I'm not going to go for the easy jokes about, for instance, Dumbledore's love of jewelry, I will say that being gay jives with his personality. It fits.

As the article mentions, some people won't like this, on moral grounds. I think that's silly, and here's why: 1. It's not even in the books themselves, so it's not like The Children will be reading about homosexuality in there. 2. Following #1, Dumbledore isn't depicted doing or saying anything Sexually Immoral. 3. No matter what anybody thinks of gay people, they exist, and one of the more important themes of Harry Potter is regular people (of all kinds), like those we interact with every day, just happening to be able to do extraordinary things.




It's a good thing I posted my nemesis list, or I would have gotten all preachy two posts in a row.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Whoa - crazy! I love how she has her characters even more fully developed than the books reveal. That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing! =)

MacKenzie said...

I am actually really annoyed about this. Not because I am "homophobic" or anything, I actually am holding this grudge against J.K. from earlier when she kept talking about what the characters are doing now (not to mention that she kept changing what jobs they all had!!), above and beyond the books. I don't think she gets how writing a book works. You write it, include what you want then ...LET IT GO. One of my favorite parts of books is that I get to use my imagination and add to the story myself, once the story ends, it is up to ME and now she is all up in my face telling me that this person does this and this person is like that. It makes me want to scream!!!