Sunday, July 5, 2009

I Have a Question for You

Would you consider James Monroe a Founding Father?

I'm reading this book (The Faiths of the Founding Fathers, which I'll tell you about when I finish) that includes Monroe as a Founding Father along with Franklin, Adams, Washington, Jefferson, and Madison. Those other five guys: no question. But Monroe? It made me figuratively raise an eyebrow. (I lack the ability to literally raise one eyebrow, which causes me no end of sadness.) I asked Neal about this last night, and we decided that a guy can only be a Founding Father if he was in the Continental Congress (and I was thinking specifically of the Second Continental Congress, c 1776) or was at the Constitutional Convention.

(Your definition can, of course, be different. Wikipedia, for instance, lists him under "Other Founders" along with guys I wouldn't contest, like Patrick Henry.)

Here's Monroe's deal:

  • was 18 years old in July 1776
  • fought with distinction in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War (I can't find anything saying whether he was an officer or not)
  • served in the Continental Congress, but not until 1783-86 (Cornwallis's surrender at Yorktown happened in 1781; 1783 saw the signing of the Treaty of Paris and the removal of the last British troops from the US; also, Monroe's stint in the Continental Congress in mentioned on Wikipedia, but not on his official White House biography page; finally, according to a different Wikipedia page, by '83 it was technically the Confederation Congress anyway)
  • was not part of the Constitutional Convention; was part of the Virginia Ratifying Convention that ratified the Constitution for that state (I can't find whether he voted for the Constitution or not--he was an anti-Federalist, so I'd guess he didn't. Not that being an anti-Federalist disqualifies a guy, but just so you know.)
  • fifth President of the United States and hey, five is a pretty low number
So, what do you think? James Monroe = Founding Father, yea or nay?

6 comments:

Neal said...

It's close, but I say 'nay.' I don't like this 'other founders' business. Either you're one of the big boys, or you're not. Close, but no cigar, Jimbo.

AVH said...

Nay. Definitely one of the men who helped shape the young country, but not quite a founding father.

Craig said...

No.

MacKenzie said...

I'm also going to say no.

And I can neither raise one eye brow not wink with my right eye. I completely understand your sadness.

Anonymous said...

He has a doctrine. Franklin was cool but he has no doctrine.

Chestertonian Rambler said...

Is there anything I'm missing? The time he got drunk with Franklin and was the one to really suggest "let's get some civies to throw rocks and snow at soldiers, and then use your media prowess to spin the coverage after the fact?"

If not, he doesn't seem like all that much of a founding father. Maybe a basement-superstructure-reinforcing father, or a first-floor-construction father, but not a founding father.


And I hear ya on not being able to raise one eyebrow! It is a tragic social disability. I've literally practiced in front of a mirror more than I care to recount, but to no avail.