Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Three Miscellaneous Internet Items

1. As I mentioned a little while back, I've gotten back into newspaper comics (although I read them on the internet). And it's all because of The Comics Curmudgeon. It's this guy, see, and he has a blog where he makes fun of comics, hilariously. Here's an entry that's unusually long, but only slightly above-average in funniness.

One revelation the blog has presented me with is soap opera comics. It turns out that Apartment 3G and Mary Worth are secretly hilarious. The problem with that kind of strip (OK, the main problem) is that everything takes forever to happen, so it's hard to know what's going on at all. But ever since the 'mudge has explained the characters and general mission of the strips (via mockery, of course), I've found them pretty engaging. Well, engaging is probably too strong a word (especially for Mary Worth), so let's say amusing. Armed with the knowledge that Mary is a controlling butinsky/biddy and that she's been pushing her young friend Delilah into going home to her husband so they can work on their loveless marriage, I found this confrontation between Mary and Delilah's sleazy ex-boyfriend laugh-out-loud funny.


Look how angry! Mary hates it when you interfere with what she's busy interfering with!

2. As far as internet comics go, I've started reading another one: Octopus Pie. It's not out-loud funny, most of the time, but I enjoy the characters and the long-form story.

3. And in other newish-blog-links-on-the-sidebar news, one of my college friends has started a food blog. She got a real domain name and everything! It's FatGirlEats.net.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Thanks for the link! :)

And for the webcomics! I'm always looking for fun stuff to read!

Anonymous said...

Brewster Rockit and Non Sequiter are good