Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Blizzard

(Blogsplosion Post #4)

According to your friend and mine, the National Weather Service, "A BLIZZARD WARNING IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 12:00AM CST THURSDAY, DECEMBER 10." They inform us of "* Snow Accumulations: 10 To 14 Inches Is Expected By Wednesday Afternoon Most Places... With Locally Higher Amounts." Furthermore, "This Will Be The First Major Winter Storm For Wisconsin... And Will Likely Have A Significant Impact On Society."

And indeed, I got a call from The Head Librarian*, who told me that mayor is shutting the town down, man! This includes the libraries. Some of the clerks at my work today (I was there for awhile but came home early because I had a headache that felt like hyenas were eating my brain) were discussing the unlikelihood of the libraries closing--there was some disagreement as to whether it's happened once or twice in the past several years. If that's not enough to convince you that this 'un is a big 'un . . . the university cancelled classes. That winter year before last, when we got 100 inches of snow, often parceled out by the foot or so? They called off class once, in the afternoon. The University of Wisconsin-Madison apparently only calls off school once every decade or two. This storm is going to be crazy.

*When I refer to my boss, since we don't really use words like "boss" at my work, I tend to say "the head librarian." Neal says this conjures the image of someone behind a big desk in a darkened room, stroking a cat in a sinister way.**

**She's not actually like that, though.

3 comments:

MacKenzie said...

If one's only source of library information was tv/movies then one would wonder what a librarian did other than sit around giving people dirty looks and shhhing them. Being a library lover, I don't think I can even remember a librarian like that, most are friendly, helpful (as I am sure you are) and shockingly enough, they actually seem to want people to use the library.

P.S. Stay warm.

Nancy said...

Did you survive?

Rachel said...

Yeah, most librarians are pretty cool.

And yes, the blizzard has gone pretty well so far. The only caveat is that we have yet to try to drive anywhere, so that could still be a disaster. There's some kind of traffic snarl on my street right now, at 10:30. That would only happen if the roads were causing bad things to happen, or if it was football game day. (It is not the latter.)