Saturday, December 12, 2009

Football Part 1: The Independence Bowl

(Blogsplosion Post #5)

Since I last posted on the topic, three important things happened for the Fightin' Texas Aggie Football Team. First, they beat Baylor/achieved bowl eligibility. Whoop.

Rawr.

Second, they played respectably against t.u. I will also give a whoop to that. (Whoop.) They didn't win, but they did look good on national TV, which is the second-most important thing to do. I think it made up for the Arkansas game. Going into the game, I thought there were three possible outcomes--in order of probability: 1) get just destroyed, a la the Oklahoma game; 2) lose but look good doing it, whilst making Colt McCoy look bad and torpedoing his Heisman chances, a la the 2005 game where Stevie McGee and the Ags took away Vince's Heisman; 3) win! I turned out to be wrong, because if McCoy doesn't get his career-reward Heisman, it will be because of the Nebraska game (although I think the close game against the Aggies has looked worse for him in retrospect since the Nebraska embarrassment). Anyway, this was probably my second-favorite t.u. game since I've been an Aggie. It's behind 2007's 38-30 victory, of course, but ahead of the 2006 12-7 Aggie win, because I really disliked that game. That one featured the worst late hit I've ever seen (an Aggie tackling Colt McCoy as Colt was taking his chinstrap off); this one featured everybody realizing, "Hey, that Jerrod Johnson is pretty good, huh?"

That guy is pretty good.

Third, the Aggies got invited to the Independence Bowl to play against Georgia. I'm excited about this. Georgia is not just a name school, but one from the best conference in college football. That means it won't look super bad if we lose (depending, of course, on how badly that hypothetical loss is) and it will look pretty darn good if we win. Because the even better thing about Georgia is that they can be beaten. If Kentucky did it, we can do it. Plus, when Kentucky did it, they hadn't just fired their defensive coordinator. Georgia is coming off a disappointing season while the Ags are finishing up a season of improvement. I doubt Georgia will be as motivated to win as Texas A&M will be. (If this columnist is representative of Georgia fans, they aren't excited.) If the Aggies can turn the game into a shootout, I like our chances. Whoop.

4 comments:

AVH said...

I'm glad you felt that way about the 2006 win, because that game pissed me off, too. I had been attending A&M long enough to start supporting their sports teams, and then they went and did that. And I don't even hate Colt McCoy, so it really made me mad. And also, A&M beat Baylor much more convincingly than Tech. If A&M continues to improve, I could see them having a better record than Tech next season. We'll see what happens!

Rachel said...

My other two reasons for hating that game are that it was really poorly played all around by both teams and that I was sure (at least at the time--I may have been wrong) that it saved Fran's job for another year. The last one was my biggest reason, although the late hit was very close.

Unknown said...

I'll be I-Bowl-ing, so look for me on TV.


On the 2006 Lone Star Showdown, I can prove to you, given only two camera angles of the Dodge interception, that Kellen Heard's shove (NOT hit) of McCoy was NOT dirty (late, yes; but not dirty).


Great blog! Keep up the good work!

Rachel said...

You're gonna have to send me the link on YouTube, because I really can't believe that.

Thanks, and fun at the bowl!