Monday, December 14, 2009

Favorite Christmas Songs

(Blogsplosion Post #8)

I shall now break down my favorite Christmas songs by category.

Favorite overall: "Carol of the Bells". "Carol of the Bells" is funny because it doesn't sound like anything else you'd usually consider "Christmas-y." It's not merry, it's more wild and strange. But it's also awesome. I used to be very picky about the versions I would listen to, but I'm starting to branch out a little. I just got this awesome bluegrass one--I unfortunately can't find it on YouTube, but it's on iTunes (off the album Christmas Grass) and there's a sample on this page if you're curious and don't have iTunes. It's just really cool.


I only saw Home Alone once (and did not care for it), but this is a pretty perfect version of the song.

Most quintessential: "The Christmas Song" (the Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire one) by Nat King Cole. It's not my "favorite" per se, but I feel like if I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one Christmas song, it would be the right choice.



Favorite to sing: "Angels We Have Heard on High". Gloooo-o-o-o-o-oooo-o-o-o-o-oooo-o-o-o-o-oooo-ria!

Favorite from a Christmas cartoon: "O Christmas Tree" by the Vince Guaraldi Trio, from A Charlie Brown Christmas. I bought the whole Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack and frankly, all the jazz starts to sound the same after a while, but this one is always fun.



Favorite that has nothing to do directly with Christmas: "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch". It's funny how a song that's just a long list of insults can put me in such a cheerful holiday mood.



Favorite that makes me sad (but, you know, holiday-sad): "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland. I know that it was originally sung by a young Judy in Meet Me in St. Louis, but her voice in it always makes me think of older, sad, drunk Judy. And on top of that, it's just a sad song about not being able to be with somebody on Christmas. I love it anyway.



Favorite that is not "good": "Donde Esta Santa Claus" (or, as I thought it was called until I looked it up just now, "Mamacita".) This one makes me laugh on its own merits and because it reminds me of some college hijinks.



Favorite oldies Christmas carol: "White Christmas" by the Drifters. I don't like it as much as my dad does, though.



Favorite newer popular artist Christmas carol: "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings" by the Barenaked Ladies and Sarah MacLachlan. Gotta love that stand-up bass.



Favorite church-type Christmas carol: This is the hardest category by far, since this is where all the classics live. After much deliberation, I'm going to go with "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing," because it's so triumphant, it has an exclamation mark right there in the title.

Most quintessential, church carol division: "Silent Night". It's actually harder to imagine Christmas without "Silent Night" than without "The Christmas Song," even the Nat King Cole version.

What about you guys? Favorites? Categories I missed? Suggestions for songs I should acquire? Seriously, I'm always in the market for more good Christmas carols.

4 comments:

Neal said...

I'm a big fan of 'Donde Esta Santa Clause.'

MacKenzie said...

I like your picks, especially White Christmas (but not as much as the original version) and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Is there something wrong with me that I don't really like A Charlie Brown Christmas? I tried to watch it a week or two ago and gave up - it was boring.

Nancy said...

Mamacita! Love it. And I loved this post. I am pretty much a sucker for all Christmas music. Also, I concur about Hark! The Herald Angels Sing! It's just such a triumphant song. Joyful, all ye nations rise! Join the triumph of the skies! Also there's some good theology in there.

AVH said...

My favorite "traditional" Christmas song is sleigh ride, mainly because of the whip, so any version without it is not ok. Also, I love the horsie/trumpet noise at the end. Otherwise, I kinda like the songs in a minor key, such as "What Child Is This?" I just checked and I have 5 versions of it on my computer. Including my fav, Kristin Chenoweth! Some other favorites are I Wonder As I Wander, Up On The Housetop (Gene Autry version), Holly Jolly Christmas, O Holy Night, and Silent Night. And I also love Carol of the Bells, which fits in the minor theme. My fav atypical song is "Hard Candy Christmas" from The Best Little Whorehouse in TX. It's not really a Christmas song at all, and it's pretty depressing, but we listened to it when I was a kid for some reason at Christmas.

Also, you're crazy, Home Alone is a fantastic Christmas movie!!