Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Review of the Broadway Revival of 1776



I'm used to listening to the original Broadway cast version of the 1776 soundtrack. It stars almost all the people who were in movie, including (most importantly) William Daniels as John Adams. (Foxy!) It is, of course, wonderful.

My friend Lindsay owns the Broadway revivial version of the 1776 soundtrack starring . . . Brent Spiner as John Adams. She very kindly lent it to me, and I know that I can't expect it to be the same, and I should try to tolerant of things that are new and different.


But my overall assessment of the Brent-Spiner-revival version? Well, once on Friends, Phoebe told Joey that someone he had auditioned for had said, "He is not believable as a human being." And, listening to the entire cast's performances on this album, I now know how that's possible.

Actually, Brent Spiner merely chewed the scenery. It was his supporting cast that was . . . breathtaking. In a horrible, horrible way.

The moral of the story is--if you're going to buy a 1776 soundtrack (which you should!) be very, very careful.

No comments: