Friday, March 27, 2009

Blog Housekeeping Notes

I. Blog happenings

A. I have just added a blog roll.
1. Craig and MacKenzie have one
2. And so does Will
3. I finally realized they're pretty cool, so it's down there under "About Us."

B. I'm taking the poll down.
1. Answers to my question about fake 80's videos seem to have petered out
2. The final tally was seven for "Pop! Goes my Heart" to just one for "Let's Go to the Mall," an impressive showing for Hugh Grant.

C. Don't miss my Friends, Season Two post just because I also wrote a letter to Billy Gillispie today.
1. I worked much harder on the Friends one.
2. To be honest, I take my Friends-blogging a little too seriously.


II. I wanted to share my Weird Observation of the Day

A. Today while I was walking to campus, I saw a young woman, probably in her late twenties.

B. She was smoking a pipe.
1. It was pretty weird because she was a young woman
2. It was at least as weird because she was walking--don't you imagine pipe-smoking as a sedentary, contemplative activity?

6 comments:

MacKenzie said...

I concur. Pipe smoking should only be done by men, sitting inl ibrary-esque rooms. And if they are alone, it is preferable if they are wearing a sweater. If they are with a bunch of other men, the sweater is optional but they should probably be drinking brandy. That is how my mind sees pipe smoking.

Rachel said...

I would allow pipe-smoking outdoors, if it were done on a stoop of some sort. Nighttime would be preferred, for more contemplativeness.

Anonymous said...

"Smoking a pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth"

Will Shannon said...

As a guy who smokes, well, damn near anything that he can get his hands on, I too have rules about pipes.

Pipes are seasonal. Pipes can be smoked roughly between Labor Day and Easter. Warmer weather is cigar weather. I am actually starting to re-season my humidor as we speak (or read, as the case may be).

As for where pipes may be smoked, I agree that walking down the street seems odd. Pipes seem to be an inside toy.

The one exception that I can think of is when one is on a boat, wearing a Greek fisherman hat. That is permissable. Hell, some of the top brands of pipe tobacco (Captain Black, Sail, Borkum Riff) have a decidedly riparian theme.

Craig said...

Was this a corn-cob pipe? Because the rules are more liberal for this smoking implement.

Rachel said...

Believe me, if it had been a corncob pipe, I would have taken note of it. (It would have been awesome.)