Monday, March 2, 2009

States

I saw a note on Facebook about the number of states the note-r had been to, but I decided to copy it here instead. Plus, mine will have additional information and be non-alphabetical--I think I'll go with roughly chronological.

1. Massachusetts: I was born there but have no recollection of it. Neal says it counts, though.

2. New Hampshire & 3. Maine: ditto on the not-remembering. I've been told I went on a trip to Maine (via New Hampshire? I'm fuzzy on the details) and did not enjoy it. I don't know if I'm missing any other travel-through states that I do not recall.

4. Kentucky & 5. Tennessee: We lived in Kentucky when I was wee, in a town on the border with Tennessee--which is where the hospital in which my sister was born is. (I've renewed these recently in Neal-family-related trips.)
6. Kansas: what up!

7. Colorado: I have been to Colorado countless times. It's always great.

8. New Mexico: we went on a trip there when I was in high school and saw Carlsbad Caverns (caves are awesome). To get there, we drove through

9. Oklahoma: lots of driving through this one, since it's on the way to

10. Texas: college! And during college, I took trips to

11. Pennsylvania: I got to walk on streets that John Adams strolled down with Thomas Jefferson (before the unpleasantness) when they were in the Continental Congress. (I have to assume there were fewer homeless people at the time--total, if not [perhaps] per capita.) From Pennsylvania, we walked to

12. New Jersey: The best part about walking to New Jersey is getting to say "I walked to New Jersey." Obviously, I still get a kick out of it.

13. Louisiana: I visited pre-Katrina New Orleans. There were mimes, high taxes, rude waitresses, cute architecture, and delicious beignets. I'm sure those things are there again/still.

14. Arkansas: I went on a couple of Spring Break church trips there. Let me tell you, Arkansas is not pretty in March.

It was still fun, though.

15. Maryland: Maryland was OK. The real attraction was

BONUS! Washington D.C.: I bet that happens to Maryland a lot.

16. California: And you know what? I did have fun, fun, fun!

17. Illinois: I still need to tell you guys about when Neal took me to see Wicked in Chicago. I went to the top of the Sears Tower once,but it wasn't a pretty day.

18. Michigan: It was real cold. Then there are those states that I've driven through instead of to, such as

19. Indiana, 20. Missouri, 21. Iowa & 22. Nebraska: Sorry, guys. I rather enjoyed driving through Nebraska--very specific road signs and lots of places to stop on the interstate, instead of signs indicating there's something at the exit which is really two miles away from the exit. (I'm looking at you, Iowa.) Similarly, there are my airport states

23. Minnesota: I got a connecting flight there. (I did like that the St. Paul airport had moving sidewalks everywhere!) And 24. South Carolina: on the way to D.C., our plane had to wait for weather, and it waited in South Carolina. I didn't leave the plane, but again, I checked with Neal and he votes that it counts. That leaves

25. Wisconsin: I live there! (For now.)



UPDATE: According to my dad (see the comments), I have also been to (through) 26. Connecticut and 27. Ohio. Over 50%, baby!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sure there are numerous people in Salem, Mass and Portsmouth, NH who recall you not enjoying that trip.

Anonymous said...

Travel-through states: Connecticut and Ohio (where everyone was wearing sweater-vests What's that about?)