Monday, April 30, 2007

Sporty!

I practiced softball today! I had a good time even though:

A. I got sunburned—although not as badly as I really should have, what with the being outside with no sunblock for a couple hours. (Yes, Mom, I know. I'm sorry. I just forget if it's not the pool or a football game. We'll play our games at night, though.) I just got pinkness on the forearms and my face is fine because, proving that I am not a complete moron, I wore a hat! Maybe it’s because I’m farther from the Sun in Wisconsin?

B. I haven’t used a mitt since the year 2000. And I haven’t used a mitt on a regular basis since the year . . . let’s think about this . . . 1994? Holy cow. Yes, I apparently haven’t played organized softball since OJ Simpson tried to flee Los Angeles in a white Ford Bronco.

C. I am going to be SORE tomorrow. My right arm, right shoulder blade, and back aren’t happy about how hard they had to work to get the ball back to the pitcher when I was catching; my legs are annoyed about all the runnin’ around; and my left hip and knee are cheesed off about how I fling my right leg out behind me when I throw. (It’s pretty ridiculous, yet uncontrollable.)

I managed to get on base a couple times while we were scrimmaging and managed not to make a fool of myself for the few minutes I played meaningful field positions, so I was pretty pleased. Still, I’m glad my team is in the lowest, easiest, “run to your right side to get to first” league.
(I’m kidding. Everyone on my team knows which direction first base is, I swear.)

1 comment:

Academic Monkey said...

For the record, Rachel was pretty awesome. And consistant. You can't say that for all the players on the team....