Monday, April 2, 2007

Basketball: Annoying Championship

Since I'm watching the Florida-Ohio State game (go Ohio State, by default!) all alone (all aloooonnnne), I decided to share some of my thoughts on it with you, the internet. (Well, the reason I'm watching it all aloooooonnne is because I am sick, but I cannot spread my cold to you, the internet.)


8:00ish: It has to be said, and I'll try just to say it once, but Joakim Noah . . . he makes me feel like I'm going to throw up in my mouth a little. Ew.



8:20ish: I really like OSU's bright red uniforms. They're very vibrant.

8:25ish: I'm so glad OSU is making some shots. The last game I watched, Florida-UCLA, was like watching high school girls' basketball. OK, no, scratch that--it was like watching bad high school girls' baksetball.

8:27: They're talking about Joakim Noah wants to come out (of the game) because he's so tired? Really?!? They've been playing for 3 1/2 minutes! Suck it up, spaz!

8:31: I'm entertained by how much ol' Billy Packer keeps complaining about the refs calling too many fouls. Get after 'em, old dude!

8:32: Corey Brewer got hit by Greg Oden's elbow? Really? It looked like he just fell over, which would have been a lot funnier.

8:33: Billy Packer just said "I don't know why players have to come out at all [when they get five fouls]. It's doesn't happen in any other sport!" For some reason, I find that vastly entertaining.

8:34: And Greg Oden travels. Raise your hand if you're surprised. Sometimes, I think, "That really old looking kid is pretty darn good at basketball!" And sometimes it's, "What a big clumsy ogre." But, uh, in the nicest way I could mean that. (Go Ohio State! I guess!)

8:39: This has nothing to do with this game, but how happy is this bear?!


8:42: Again with the talking about how the players are tired! They're only halfway through the first half! What kind of namby-pamby practices do Thad Matta and Billy Donovan run?

8:44: Oh, I'm sorry, according to Billy Packer, it's Billy "Dunnovan."

8:48: Why in the world do basketball games need aerial blimp coverage? (Hint: they don't.)

8:49: White guy dunk alert! And (heh heh) it was by Terwilliger, which name always makes me laugh. Not only is it just a funny combination of sounds, but . . . Bob Terwilliger!

8:51: Jim Nantz: "They call him [I don't know, some OSU guy] Microwave because he can heat up so quickly!" They do? That's pretty lame of them.

8:53: Jim Nantz: "And Florida has a double-digit lead!" Oh joy. Thad Matta needs to take a timeout because, you guessed it, his team is REALLY TIRED.

8:55: Oh good, that commercial with hip-hop "Sweet Home Alabama." Who thought that would be a good idea?

9:04: An 11-point lead for Florida going into halftime. How ideal.

I think I'm going to stop now, partly because I should be doing something more productive, and partly because this is a really cranky entry. I will make one final point, though: You know those Hartford commercials with the bad CGI elk? Couldn't they get a better CGI elk? Or a real elk? I keep thinking a real elk would be cheaper. And would look better. Everybody wins, including the elk, who'd probably get a salt lick in addition to becoming the most famous elk around.


Edited to Add: 10:13: The highlight of the game--they showed Jim Tressel (the OSU football coach)!



Oh my gosh, he's so adorable. He looks like Harry Truman in a sweater vest. Too bad he doesn't have much to be happy about--just like the last national championship matchup between these two freakin' schools. (You'd think there would be enough national championship games to go around, but noooooooooo. Win hogs.)

8 comments:

Academic Monkey said...

Go Gators! To celebrate, my UF-supporting family sent me a slew of newly racist emails. Hooray! Apparently African, Middle Eastern, and Asian countries aren't capable of being "civilized." And global warming is a Nigerian spam conspiracy! Go Gator fans! Show how classy you can be!

(rolled eyes at family)

Craig said...

Just like politics, there's too much money in college sports.

Rachel said...

Craig, I agree completely.
Lesley, your family really confuses me, and you'll have to explain someday what causes them to celebrate a national championship with a Racism-palooza.

MacKenzie said...

One of my favorite things to do when I get back from a trip is to check my email but this time I also had the joy of catching up on Rachel's Wisconsin Adventures! There were so many new posts! (Much cooler than my email since it only included bank statements and spam.) Yah for Rachel!

Anonymous said...

I am less concerned about the basketball game and more concerned about the fact that you are ill. But that's just me. Do you have a humidifier?

Nancy said...

20 minutes to go on this thursday and still no boyfriend! tut, tut.

Rachel said...

I totally made it in under the wire!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.