Thursday, February 15, 2007

Exciting Development in the World of Numismatics!

(I will admit that I had to look up the word "numismatics" on wikipedia.)

Today, the US Mint unveiled their newest coin, a dollar that features George Washington.



Yes, what I said when I first saw a headline to that effect was, "Uh, he's on the quarter. Duh."

But not so fast!

A la state quarters, these babies are going to feature each president in the order they served in office. It's as if I were working at the US Mint! I love the presidents in order!

Here are my favorite aspects about this plan:
1. John Adams Dollar!
2. Two Grover Cleveland dollars, one for each non-consecutive term! (I hope the picture is different on each one, though. Not like in that presidential knives set, where there were two identical Grover Cleveland knives. I mean, really, who needs two identical Grover Cleveland knives?)
3. I do enjoy my state quarters. There's just something satisfying about having them all in my little book, as a set.

These are the things about which, however, I am skeptical:
1. It's a good idea to try something new to get a dollar coin to work, but I don't know if even this is sufficient. As the article I linked to above says, for most governments successfully introduce a higher-value coin, the paper version of the same denomination has to get phased out. That is still not a step the US government wants to take.
2. Since people don't use dollar coins, how am I supposed to get dollar coins? Am I going to have to go to the bank and get a whole roll every time a new president comes out? I mean, clearly I'm willing to do that for John Adams, but James Monroe? The same enthusiasm just isn't there.

In short, I am enthusiastic about this development, but doubtful that we're ever actually going to see the highly anticipated Rutherford B. Hayes dollar.






EDIT: I've done a little more research on this and, quite unfortunately, it turns out that the portraits are . . . awful.

I mean, is it just me, or does John Adams look like he has a terrible little French-type mustache? And James Madison kind of resemble an angry donkey hand-puppet? Washington is definitely angry; Jefferson merely has bad bangs.
Concept? Great. Execution? . . . Questionable.

5 comments:

Tina said...

How could you neglect to add "angry donkey hand puppet" as a label? What a golden opportunity!

Anonymous said...

The problem is, to collect the entire set of state quarters costs $12.50. That's money that I could be earning interest on, just sitting there. But I'm willing to make that sacrifice, because that's not too much money. However, this dollar thing is going to cost at least $40, if they get to Reagan. That's a lot of change.

I also wish we would switch to dollar coins, because I like it when, traveling abroad, my pocket change is worth something. Currently, my pocket change is enough to buy maybe a pack of gum. But we probably won't switch anytime soon.

I think you could go to the bank and get change for a dollar to get these coins, rather than getting a whole roll. Or buy stamps in a Post Office machine. But then you might get Sakakawea instead.

Rachel said...

Tina: you are so right. I corrected it.
Craig: yeah, maybe I'll look into getting a single one at the bank--maybe I could get $21 dollars in cash the next time I go; but I remember my mom having trouble with that when she tried to get us some state quarters. Maybe UW Credit Union would be more helpful than the Nekoma State Bank?

Anonymous said...

I think Madison has the look of a constipated weiner dog.

Academic Monkey said...

I've never before been afraid that the past presidents will come in my room at night and eat my brains. Now? Can't sleep with the light off.