Thursday, February 15, 2007

Numismatics 2: First Lady Boogaloo!

Earlier, I remarked upon the new presidential $1 coins. Well, I was cruising around the US Mint site (you know, as long as you're there, you might as well) and my eye was caught by these:



These coins are those totally unspendable, buy-them-through-This-Special-TV-Offer type, but they are pretty interesting, with fun facts about the "First Spouses" on the back.

Again, though, the portraiture leaves something to be desired. I guess Dolley Madison is wearing a necklace, but it kind of looks like folds of neck fat. (Sorry, Mrs. Madison. I have nothing for respect for you, what with your saving that famous portrait from fire [which I knew even before the coin told me] and, of course, your snack cakes.)

Abigail Adams looks pretty cranky, but Martha Washington? Looks like she is about to CUT YOU.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There should be a series of coins showing Presidential girl friends. Sally Hemmings, Monica Lewinsky, Marilyn Monroe, etc., etc. Of course, it would be a higher denomination than the wive's coins. Maybe encrusted with diamonds.