Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Review of Captain Nice

I don't know if any of you have picked up on this, but I love William Daniels. The latest zany thing that love has led me to spend money on is Captain Nice.

It's this show from the 60's, a spoof of the Batman tv series. The hero is this shy police chemist who fights crime because his mom makes him. It was on for 15 episodes. . . . I did hesitate to buy it. Luckily, my parents remembered the show and said it was funny, so I took a chance.

It's so bootlegged it's not even funny; by which I of course mean, it's so bootlegged, it's pretty funny. You can sometimes see the tracking from the VCR off which the guy ripped the DVDs. Overall, video quality gets . . . a generous D+.

The show creator later co-created Get Smart, and it's pretty easy to see the similarities. The humor is usually silly, but occasionally subversively clever. Also, the main character has a quasi-girlfriend who totally digs him, but of whom he is either frightened or oblivious. The stories and writing I give a B+.

As for William Daniels, he's not as meek and mild as he could be. And . . . ok, I can't come up with any other decoy criticisms. William Daniels ROCKS IT, as he ALWAYS DOES. I LOVE HIM.

A+++!

Overall grade: A.

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

While I have no experience with Captain Nice, my older brother loved Get Smart and I remember it fondly. It is not uncommon for someone in my family to randomly spout out a "Would you believe...." Thanks for rekindling my memories.

Rachel said...

Get Smart is good stuff. It's going to come out on DVD sometime soon. (Actually, the entire series is indivisibly available from Time Life right now, but it costs almost $200. I believe it's going to be released on a general, season-by-season basis at some point next year. . . . Not that I've done any research on this or anything.)