Thursday, February 15, 2007

Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight On . . .

Ron Weasley!


Ron is the reason I read Harry Potter. Well, to be more accurate, the reason I started reading Harry Potter--now, of course, I'm ensnared by the . . . Potterness of it.

I resisted, naturally. Harry started getting popular when I was in high school and automatically averse to everything popular. My freshman year in college, however, I went to see the first Harry Potter movie and said to Nancy (who did read the books) afterwards, "So Ron and Hermione are going to get together, right?" And she said, "What?!" But I could tell the spark was there.

A couple years later, I watched the second Harry Potter movie, in which they really upped the romantic ante (Ron and Hermione share . . . an awkward handshake!). That's when I broke down and asked my sister if I could read her Harry Potters, just so I could see how the Ron/Hermione romance was developing. And I ended up reading all five of them in four days. (Awesome.)

As much I love Ron and Hermione together, it's primarily because I love Ron so much. He's so awkward and funny and a good guy, but never as big a deal or as important as Harry--but as hard as Harry's life is, I don't think he could make it through without Ron.

Secondarily, I want Ron and Hermione to grow up and get married and have babies with bushy red hair. (Awesome!)

(For my fellow Potter-people: I have a theory. You know how the sorting hat almost put Harry in Slytherin and almost put Hermione in Ravenclaw? Well Ron, with his being a good friend and [pretty] dependable but not obviously remarkable in any particular way, displays a real tendency towards Hufflepuff-ity. So, it's like, among the three of them, they represent all of the houses of Hogwarts! I'm pretty proud of that one.)

For the record--again--I'm going to be INCONSOLABLE if Ron dies in the last book. Take Harry, J.K., take Neville, take anybody, just please let my boyfriend Ron live! (Also Hermione would be nice, for red-headed, buck-toothed baby purposes.)

2 comments:

AVH said...

Ron won't die. He can't die. He is the glue that holds everything together, and without the glue, you have nothing. I have a feeling Harry will probably die, well, because it basically says he HAS to for Voldemort to be destroyed. I would think there may be a secret way around this, but when she killed off Dumbledore, I figured out that main characters are capable of death in Potterland...but NOT Ron!

Academic Monkey said...

Oh whatevs, Ron and Hermy-owny will live and have plenty of bushy-red haired babies. Snape's days are numbers, and Voldemort's been marked since he gave Harry his defining scar...

If You-Know-Who isn't considered a "main character" I sincerely believe Neville would be a good plot device kill, since he is the decoy "chosen one" (born in July, parents thrice thwarted the Dark Lord, come ON!).

But Hermione? She's the smartest witch in their year ("strange how that can happen in muggle-born families"), and Ron is, well, Ron.

And Dumbledore was marked the first time they mentioned Voldemort fearing him and no one else...