Monday, March 26, 2007

I Think I Want a Sewing Machine

It's finally nice in Madison. The nice weather and a random desire to look just a little cuter than usual made me really wish I had a jean skirt to wear tomorrow. I only occasionally feel like wearing a skirt, so the only ones I own are all churchy. So no jean skirt. I therefore decided to make one.
I took a pair of jeans and cut 'em up, and began sewing them back together in an alternate configuration. If I had a sewing machine (or if I had decided to take up this whim before 10 o'clock), I bet I could have finished it.
Also, I would like to take up sewing someday, mostly because of all the cool stuff they sell in fabric stores. I mean, have you ever looked at how many types of buttons your run-of-the-mill fabric store has? Or how many colors of thread? I hate to think that someday those places and products will become extinct, but really--how many people a day in the whole country can you imagine saying, "Well, I better run down and get some multi-colored flourscent ladybug buttons and some medium-pale chartreuse thread!" But I want there to be a bunch of those people. And if I have to be one to make that happen, so be it.

5 comments:

Nick Fury said...

This smacks of 16 Candles. Is it? Answer the question Claire...

Rachel said...

Sixteen Candles: one of the eleventy billion supposedly ubiquitous movies I happen to have never seen (along with Ferris Bueller's Day Off, James Bond movies, everything Tom Cruise has ever been in, Hoosiers, The Breakfast Club, and the list goes on and on). In short, I have no idea.

Academic Monkey said...

I will totally support any sewing group you decide to start...crafts and fabric stores KICK, and the Hancock fabric store next to my house is going out of business (70% off!!) so maybe there's a super cheap sewing machine??

Also...craigslist...

Nick Fury said...

And you were on Jeopardy?

Anonymous said...

if you're willing to wait that long, you can totally have my itty bitty tiny sewing machine when I come see you in the North this summer. I think I've had it for over two years now, and used it...oh wait, never.