Friday, March 23, 2007

Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight NOT On . . .

Since I forgot to do a Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight on Thursday, there will be no traditional Ridiculous Boyfriend this week (since it doesn't seem quite right to have a Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight on a Friday). Instead, I'm presenting some guys who the Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight is not, or to be more specific, no longer on.

(I could do a Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight NOT On featuring guys I vehemently dislike, but who wants to gaze at pictures of old fat Republican dudes or crack addicts or Greg Oden or something?)

Anyway, these are guys that I originally intended to feature on Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight, but have since FIRED.


FIRED: Tom Brady


Well, according to the Google News search I just did, Tom Brady is only the father of one pending love child, disagreeing with the reports I'd heard bandied about that each of two hot sort-of-famous chicks was carrying his love child. And you know what they say about love children ("One love child is better than two" [or maybe I made that up, just now]), but still. Tom Brady was more desirable as an All American Boy than he is as America's Baby Daddy In Chief, is what I'm saying. I know that in this day and age, single parenthood is not an earth-shattering deal, and certainly I don't agree with there being any social stigma for said love child (a la the AWESOME Diana Ross and the Supremes song "Love Child" [never meant to be! Love Child! Born in poverty! Love Child! Always second-best! Love Child! Different from the re-e-est!]), but it's still seamy to have gotten with child a woman who isn't even your girlfriend anymore.

And Tom Brady


is too pretty


to be seamy.


But alas . . . seamy he is, and that's why the Ridiculous Boyfriend Spotlight is NOT on him.



FIRED: Dr. George O'Malley


This is not a gay thing, in case you're wondering. First of all, I have no problem with having gay ridiculous boyfriends and second of all, the actor T.R. Knight was never a boyfriend candidate, the character George O'Malley was. Because he was cute! And sweet! And loveable and kind and funny and nice and a decent, stand-up guy.

But then he got all annoying and whiny.

And then he got all petty and mean-spirited.

And then whoever is running Grey's Anatomy decided it needed to become a caricature of itself and had him get drunk and sleep with his best friend (with whom he's never even had any chemistry) and oh did I mention? He's married. You know what's seamier than fathering a love child? Adultery. You know what's not loveable, kind, funny, nice or decent? Oh! That's right! It's adultery.

Not only is George FIRED, FOREVER as a boyfriend, Grey's Anatomy is dangerously close to getting abandoned by (at least) one of its viewers. That's right, Grey's Anatomy. If you don't shape up, I am going to break up with you. That's not a threat, it's a promise.

Edited to add: There's one thing I don't think I made clear. Sometimes it's OK when a show makes you angry. That means, at least, that you're engaged in it. But the George and Izzie sex thing? Just makes me annoyed. When you just keep having random characters fall into bed with each other as a substitute for plot development, it's not shocking; it's boring. It's nonsense and it's boring. Stop it, Grey's Anatomy. For real.

6 comments:

Nick Fury said...

Can I marry you? Alexis and Tom in one woman??? Why don't you live in Santa Monica?

Tina said...

Two comments from me:

1. I really hope you know the first person who posted on this entry, otherwise it's a little weird. I mean, it's still weird, but it would be even weirder if he's some random guy.

2. You are so right about Grey's Anatomy. The Izzie and George thing was so bizarre. Just when I had gotten used to his non-chemistry with Callie, he goes and has an affair with is former best friend with whom he likewise has no chemistry. I'm with you wholeheartedly in putting the show on loyalty probation. They've got two more episodes to turn it around, or I'm out. It's supposed to be an addictive medical drama, not Temptation Island in scrubs.

Nick Fury said...

Oh, yeah, sorry about the wierd thing. I felt like doing a search for Democracy in America and ended up here. Am I banned?

Rachel said...

No, it's cool--I feel like I have a fan!

Rachel said...

And I am also giving Grey's approximately 2 episodes to redeem itself.

Craig said...

I knew from my first glance that Grey's Anatomy was thumbs-down.