Saturday, March 10, 2007

A Reminiscence

Remember Highlights magazine? Man, that thing was not good. But it did have one good part--and I bet you know what it is without me telling you.































(Goofus bosses his friends. Gallant asks, "What do you want to do next?"

Goofus takes the last apple. Gallant shares his orange.)


Of course it's Goofus and Gallant! Those guys . . . they taught you some morals, man.

Unfortunately, G & G (as, uh, the cool kids call them) have an updated look. Being square Fifties kids was such a huge part of the appeal! But don't worry, they still have those sweet Fifties morals.


I couldn't find an internet picture to confirm it, but I'm pretty darn sure Gallant hates Commies. Perhaps Goofus . . . is a Commie? A fellow-traveler, perhaps?



(At the department store, Goofus runs on the escalator. Gallant stands still on the escalator as it goes to the second floor.)

Godless Commie or not . . . I think I'd rather hang out with Goofus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'll admit to being a Goofus, but you're SUPPOSED to walk on the escaltor! But Gallant never moves and so gets his sneakers caught in the grating and ultimately gets both feet ripped off by the machinery.