Monday, January 28, 2008

I'm Excited

How fitting that on this Kansas Day Eve, Kansas's governor may be getting herself ready in the wings of the national stage.

CNN's story "Dems tap Kansas governor for State of the Union response" caught my interest, but even more so when it turned out it's mostly about how Kathleen Sebelius would be a very attractive running mate for one Barack Obama. (Of course, she wouldn't get picked by Hillary, because a lady/lady ticket?!??! THAT'S INSANE!!!!!!)

(Tangent: I think it's a shame that when we finally get a viable woman presidential candidate, it's darn ol' Hillary. The upside is that if she loses [*fingers-crossed for at-the-nomination-stage*], we'll know it's because she's Hillary, and not because she's a woman. I am confident in my believe that people violently dislike her because of who she is, not because of her gender.)

(In a tangent to a tangent to a tangent, I do of course know that there are people who wouldn't vote for a woman simply because she's a woman. Those people certainly may post such opinions here, though with the caveat that I will eviscerate them.)

I'll lay my cards on the table for you here: I think I love Obama, but I'm nervous that it's for the wrong reasons. It's not because of specific policies, it's because of his philosophies, the way the thinks about things, and the way everything (ok, almost everything) is something I really want to hear. I want politics not to be about picking sides and throwing mud at the other kids. I want it not to be lobbyist-driven. I agree with him that applying Christian faith to public policy means you ought to help people who need help. (Also, he's received what is probably one of the best-written endorsements ever.) Picturing him as President genuinely suffuses me with a warm, fuzzy feeling. I need to compare the policies and positions of the three (although I think even Edwards has given up and decided to run for vice-president) before the Wisconsin primary (February 19th, so I doubt it'll be important anyway) . . . but I already know what I hope the ticket will be. (Hint: Obama/Sebelius '08!)

8 comments:

Craig said...

You are correct that we violently dislike Hillary because of who she is, and not her gender. It is refreshing, in a way, to see Democrats waking up to see what slimeballs her and Bill are, if only because they're working their gutter politics on one of their own.

As for your governor, wouldn't the fact that she's from a state guaranteed to give its electoral votes to the GOP diminish her chances of getting the VP nomination?

Hannah said...

You have captured the reasons I like Obama quite succinctly. Thank you!

Rachel said...

Craig: according to the article, that's a draw of Sebelius--she won SO BIG in her gubernatorial race that they hope she could bring in Kansas for the first time since 1964. Of course, a VP isn't worth it for 6 electoral votes, so for her to actually get chosen, they'd have to think that she could similarly appeal to moderate Republicans in other states.

Chestertonian Rambler said...

I think if Dubya has taught us anything, it is that bad, uncharitable, ugly rhetoric is bad for the country.

Therefore one would expect good, bold, charitable, beautiful rhetoric is a very good quality in a candidate--and for that reason (among others) Obama's success is a very hopeful thing.

Rachel said...

I think Dubya has also taught us that you can't take an articulate, intelligent president for granted.

Tina said...

I told everyone at work today about the Obama/Kansas Lady rumor, and they were all excited (except for my one Republican co-worker, who doesn't count). Several people mentioned seeing her on the news this morning and being impressed. I think this bodes well for us.

Anonymous said...

Gov. Sebelius has many positive attributes; the one big negative is: her maiden name is Gilligan.

Anonymous said...

more posts plz