Monday, January 12, 2009

Comics, Except on the "Web"!

I've been gradually accumulating some web comics in my internet reading rotation, so I thought it was high time I shared the good ones with my blog people. (Disclaimer: these all pretty much have strong language and adult themes. To varying degrees--Daisy Owl not very much at all, Diesel Sweeties almost constantly. Any comic I have copied onto this page is fine, anything I link to might have f-bombs or sex jokes.)

xkcd

This is the first one I started reading--I think I found a link from ashpags? Anyway, it's supersuper nerdy, to the point where there are physics and computer jokes that go totally over my head. I think I get this one:

There are more accessible cartoons as well:

(I know I've posted that before, but I don't care.)

Just this week, he put up a chart of relatable references for the metric system (such as 10 Celsius=jacket weather, 80 cm=width of a door frame), which isn't so much funny as it is just really useful and pretty genius (although it's funny too).

Questionable Content

This is probably my favorite web comic. It's a character-based continuous story, so it's a little hard to get into unless you start at the beginning. Also, I had a hard time finding a stand-alone strip without casual swearing, but this one is ok:


The blonde on the left is Hanners, who is adorable and obsessive-compulsive. (She's the best one.) This one is moderately nerdy as well. The only downside is that much of it is music nerdery, which I don't get any of. But like I said, it's mostly character-based anyway. The QC world is one almost identical to our own, except there are robots. And Hanners grew up on a space station. And there's a superhero who delivers pizza.

One interesting aspect of it is that the cartoonist (his name is Jeph) gets better at drawing as he goes along--if you click that link to the first strip, it looks like a completely different cartoon. For whatever reason, I think watching the evolution of his artwork is pretty cool.

Anyway, one reason I'm doing this entire post is because I wish I knew other people who read this, just so I could talk about it with them. ("What do you think of Dora's new hair? I think it's rad! And what is the deal with Faye and Sven?")

This one never fails to crack me up. Especially the rap.

Diesel Sweeties

This one's weird. I'm not going to give you words about it, I'm just going to put some up.
(Oh man. I don't know why I think that last one is so funny, but I do.)

Daisy Owl

This is my most recent discovery. It's cute and offbeat. Daisy and her little brother Cooper are human kids being raised by an owl.

Mr. Owl's best friend is a bear named Steve.

And I've already told you about Garfield Minus Garfield, but here's a recent one:

4 comments:

Robert said...

I am a fan of QC as well. I didn't know anyone else who read it, so I am happy to hear that you do. Also, look up West of Bathurst. It is a comic written entirely for a grad school in Canada, but is really fun to read even though I don't get the inside jokes. You have to start from the beginning of it as well.

Rachel said...

I don't know, I've never been big on the grad student genre of humor ("Isn't being a grad student horrible?! HA HA HA [laughing through the pain]!)

But . . . do you think Dora's new hair is rad?

Robert said...

I am not a fan of Dora's new hair. I much preferred it when she and Marten had the same hair. Also, it is about grad school, but not about the "grad school sucks". That is a very minor part. The vast majority is about relationships in a dorm of grad students. Canadians are odd like that.

Rachel said...

I guess I did probably jump to conclusions on that one--I did read the first several strips, and it was more about grad students being weird.