Sunday, January 11, 2009

I Think Too Hard about Commercials

Usually, all commercials in a series are roughly of the same quality. For instance, all those UPS whiteboard ads inspire the same feeling in me--that feeling of "Cut your hair! Cut your stupid hair!"That's why I'm struck by the unevenness of those AT&T "alter ego" commercials. That one with the T-rex coming to the party instead of the friendly dinosaur? Possibly the funniest commercial in heavy rotation. (Up-and-coming challenger: "I'm sorry Dick Butkus.")



I also mildly enjoy the one where the guy blew up a turkey. On the other hand, there's the one where the news guy, his producer, and his cameraman presumably die gruesome, preventable deaths. That . . . that is a compelling reason to get reliable coverage, I guess. Also in the "not so much" category is the snowman one:



Riddle me this, snowman: say you had received the call. What then? You would have melted anyway, you are a snowman and that is your fate.

Yeah, I know . . . he's a snowman anyway and can't talk on the phone, so why does it matter? Well, it bothers me. Like I said in the title of the post . . . .

2 comments:

MacKenzie said...

After the whole Geico debacle, it should be obvious that you aren't the only one who thinks too much about commercials.

Oh, and speaking of Geico, what do you think about the new geico ads with the stack of money? I find that little thing creepy.

But I totally agree with you about the snowman. I was just whinying to Craig about that yesterday.

Rachel said...

I don't really get the stack of money commercials. I mean, understand the point they're trying to get across, but why in that way? Why does the money have eyes? Just so they can use that "Somebody's Watching Me" song? It's like they had a few disparate ideas and just stuck them all together without a lot of thought.