Thursday, February 12, 2009

LIFE.

You can search the Life Magazine photo archives through Google images. This isn't a new feature, it's just that this evening was the first time I availed myself of it. For kicks and giggles, I searched for my name. It was pretty disappointing.

It's boatloads of Rachel L. Cook, plenty of Rachel Carson, a smattering of Rachel Hunter, and a surprisingly large number of some female bodybuilder named Rachel McLish.


There are only two I thought were interesting:

Jackie Robinson
Baseball star Jackie Robinson w. his wife Rachel as young son Jackie Jr. drinks a glass of milk, on front steps of their home.
Location:Brooklyn, NY, US
Date taken:July 1949


I think I just like the specificity of the caption re: Jackie Jr.'s drink.

And then this one is just weird:


Gov. of Michigan G. Mennen Williams's son Gary (L) posing for a picture with Gov. of Alabama James E. Folsom's daughter Rachel (R) during the Govenor's [sic] convention.
Location:Atlantic City, GA, US
Date taken:June 1956

On a side note, Life's mascot for the 1890s is Queen Victoria. Sometime I'll have to write a post about why I despise her.

2 comments:

Craig said...

I look forward to that post.

Chestertonian Rambler said...

That IS a disturbing photo.